Crymych RFC | 1st Team 27 - 25 Tondu RFC | 1st Team
Osian Davies
Try 1
Luke Rogers
Try 1
Ifan Phillips
Conversion 3
Penalty 2
Try 1

Match Report
10 December 2017 / Team News


WRU National Plate

Crymych 27 Tondu 25

Crymych centre Ifan Phillips held his nerve to slot over a penalty in the closing stages to seal a well deserved win for his team and a place in the last 16 of the competition.

The Preselimen who fielded a very young side appeared to be heading out of the WRU Plate on the hour mark as they were trailing by a dozen points but they mounted a tremendous fight back and sneaked this tense affair with the boot of Phillips nailing the win but they were forced to hang on as Tondu mounted a late charge.

The visitors who currently enjoy a safe mid table position in division one central went into the break 13-10 ahead and were good value for their lead. Inside centre Mathew Davies crossed for a try after good work by number eight Adam Harries which was converted by outside centre Josh Tatchell who also slotted over two penalties. Crymych replied with a touchdown from former Cardigan scrum half Luke Rogers, playing on the wing and this was converted by Phillips who also landed a penalty to bring the half to a close with his team also on double figures.

Tondu increased their lead after the break with tries from left winger Sam Grabham and lock Steff Jones one of which was converted by Tatchell but the Preselimen weathered the storm and came back strongly through their forwards with number eight Osian Davies and second row Dion Gibby prominent and Davies was rewarded for his hard work with a try that was converted by Phillips. The talented centre then ran in for a try himself when he powered his way through the Tondu defence from close range and he swiftly upgraded this with another two points to put his team within sight of victory at 24-25 and ten minutes to go

Tondu who were well led by skipper Hywel Davies hit back and Crymych were forced to make some very timely tackles with the likes of Carwyn Phillips, Llyr Davies and Harri Llewellyn putting in some big hits to keep the opposition out.

With just a few minutes to go Phillips was presented with a fine chance to put his team into the lead with a penalty kick and he duly obliged before Tatchell had the home crowd biting their fingernails in the dying seconds when the centre was also presented with a match winning opportunity but fortunately for the hosts he missed his kick and Crymych hung on for the victory.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos